As a dog owner, you want your dog to stay fit and healthy. But, there are many prospects involved in maintaining their health. Skin health is one such prospect. So, if you were surfing on the internet looking for – Best antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo UK, your search ends here.
I have curated a list of some of the best antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoos available in the UK based on different prospects. You will also find a buyer’s guide that will help you decide which of the products will be suitable for your furry friend.
Best Antibacterial and Antifungal Dog Shampoo UK
Whether your dog has bacterial, fungal, allergies, inflammation issues, or yeast infections, you will need an antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo to deal with such issues. Dog shampoos with antibacterial and antibacterial properties retain ingredients that prevent growth or kill the micro-organisms on the dog’s skin and improve their skin health.
In addition, these types of dog shampoos also help in moisturising the skin and prevent dryness, infection, or itching issue. So, for picking up your next best antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo uk, here is a list that contains a few of the best dog shampoos:
1. C&G Pets Antibacterial And Antifungal Dog Shampoo For Itchy Skin
Dogs that are having itchy skin, irritation, or minor cuts on their skin coat, can benefit from C&G Pets Antibacterial and Antifungal, dog Shampoo is a suitable option. The manufacturer claims to have used 100% natural ingredients in the mix.
The pH balance of this shampoo is perfect and it also facilitates the healing and repairing of dog skin coats. Also, the shampoo is thick and the smell is pleasant so, dogs don’t resist while you apply it to them.
- Tea tree
Further, this antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo is allergen-free. This means there are no artificial substances used that may cause irritation issues for your furry friend.
- Mint scent
- Fast absorbing formula
- Instant muscular cooling
- Dog’s hair gets thicker, get’s healthier, and grows faster
- Need to be used in more quantity for better results
Furthermore, this shampoo is bought with antibacterial sun cream and antibacterial and antifungal itchy dog spray for better skin care. Both the products are of C&G (Cooper and Gracie) brand.
2. PADDIPAWS Natural Antifungal and Antibacterial Dog Shampoo
For dog owners looking for a small quantity yet, effective dog shampoo, PADDIPAWS Natural Antifungal and Antibacterial Dog Shampoo is a perfect fit. They provide a 250ml shampoo solution that is 100% natural and safe for treating Skin infections, Fungal ringworm, Dermatitis, Pyoderma, and Yeast in dogs.
Further, the natural ingredients used in this dog shampoo help regain the dog’s skin’s natural moisture and fight infection as well.
- Neem leaf
Also, there is no presence of substances such as Silicone, Sulphate, DEA or MEA.
- Treats various infection
- No synthetic chemicals present
- Helps retain moisture in a dog’s skin
- Short term remedy
PADDIPAWS Natural Antifungal and Antibacterial Dog Shampoo are at times bought with two different products from different brands. One of them is Natural Antiseptic Spray (from Lelucillin) others are some probiotics for dogs.
3. ICF Clorexyderm® Shampoo for Dogs
Clorexyderm Shampoo for Dogs from ICF is said to be a vet-recommended dog shampoo. So, it’s a suitable choice for dog owners who prefer using vet-recommended products. You can use this antibacterial and antifungal shampoo for cleansing, itchiness, and odour elimination.
The formula for this shampoo is tailored to eliminate bad odour but, it also helps in cleaning the dog’s skin and makes it softer and healthier.
- Propylene glycol
In addition, shampoo is useful for dogs having sensitive skin as it will help in maintaining their skin condition without causing irritation issues.
- Vet recommended
- Suitable for every dog breed
- Soothes red and itchy skin quickly
- Ingredients are not completely natural
Further, this dog shampoo is purchased with dry shampoo and grooming wipes provided by Clorexyderm.
4. BUGALUGS Dog Shampoo
For dog owners in the UK who are stringent about using a product that is eco-friendly, and made locally, BUGALUGS Dog Shampoo is a definite option to explore. The product manufacturer indicates that it’s made using natural vegan formula. So, it’s a good prospect for dog skin care.
The natural antiseptic formula of this antibacterial and antifungal shampoo is tailored to provide instant relief from itchiness and is also suitable for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Aloe vera
- Colloidal Oatmeal
In addition, you will also find ingredients such as basil oil, pine oil, geranium oil, lemon oil, mint oil, rosemary oil, cedarwood, citronella oil, and thyme oil in this dog shampoo.
- pH level is balanced
- Quick absorbing formula
- Relaxes dog’s skin instantly
- The smell is not pleasant
- Some dog breeds have more itchiness
5. Aqueos Antibacterial, Antiviral & Antifungal Dog Shampoo
Aqueos Antibacterial Antiviral & Antifungal Dog Shampoo is useful for dog owners who are looking to treat skin issues as well as minor wounds and grazes in their furry friend. The shampoo is gentle on the skin and has a natural fragrance.
In addition, it’s non-sticky and includes an effective deodoriser in the solution. Also, there is no alcohol, bleach, or phenol used in the ingredient mix.
- Sodium chloride
This shampoo makes the dog’s skin smooth and also makes it more healthy.
- Pleasant smell
- Keeps dog’s coat soft
- Suitable for all ages of dogs
- Uses chemicals in the ingredients
- May cause an allergic reaction and irritation in the dog’s eyes
6. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo is an antifungal dog shampoo that is specifically made for tackling issues such as parasitic infections, mange, and seborrhea. So, if your dog has any of these issues, you can use this shampoo for making them feel better.
Further, this medicated dog shampoo acts fast to relieve symptoms such as greasy or waxy skin, bald spots, red skin rashes, itchiness, and flaky skin.
- Coal tar
- Salicylic acid
- Micronised sulphur
The solution of this dog shampoo helps keep the dog’s skin hydrated and also facilitates healing.
- pH balanced shampoo
- Veterinary ingredients used in the mix
- Doesn’t clean up fleas and tick
- Only suitable for dogs over 12 weeks of age
7. Nature’s Greatest Secret Antibacterial Colloidal Silver Petcare Dog Shampoo
Nature’s Greatest Secret’s Colloidal Silver Petcare Dog Shampoo is made using essential oils that are helpful in repelling fleas and ticks. So, it’s a perfect choice for dog owners who are looking for Antibacterial dog shampoo that solves this issue.
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of this solution will keep the dog’s coat clean, clear and healthy.
- Colloidal Silver (53%)
- Coconut and Lemongrass
Further, the shampoo must not be exposed to sunlight and kept in a cool place, and out of reach of children as it contains chemicals that may harm them.
- Scent is good
- Repels fleas and ticks
- Cost is high
- The liquid is not thick
- Uses synthetic chemicals
8. Douxo Pyo Shampoo
For dog owners looking for vet-recommended dog shampoo to help with irritated skin, Duxo Pyo Shampoo can come in handy. This antibacterial and antifungal shampoo for dogs is made for soothing dog’s skin and also helps restore the skin barrier.
In addition, this shampoo also helps in controlling the growth of bacteria and reduces the risk of infection.
This antibacterial and antifungal shampoo is effective for small areas such as skin folds, feet, and face.
- Coat health of dogs improves
- Solves dandruff issues in many dogs
- Can cause irritation in dog’s eyes
- Skin itching increases in some dogs
Buyers Guide: Best Antibacterial and Antifungal Dog Shampoo UK
You had a peek at different Antibacterial and Antifungal dog shampoo products that you can use for your furry friend. If you are having trouble picking the best one yet, don’t worry. In this section, you will get more insights and information regarding Antibacterial and Antifungal Dog shampoo.
Antibacterial dog shampoo
This shampoo is made to kill off the harmful bacteria that are present in dogs’ skin and reduce the chances of infection. The possible infection that is avoided using this dog shampoo is – impetigo, pyoderma, acne, and folliculitis. These bacteria can cause issues such as itching, redness, inflammation, pus, sores, and odour.
The ingredients used in the antibacterial dog shampoo include chlorhexidine, triclosan, or benzethonium chloride. These are efficient in tackling the bacteria that may reside on a dog’s skin. In addition, antibacterial dog shampoos may also have some moisturising agents such as oatmeal, aloe vera, or glycerin in them. These moisturising agents help calm their skin and prevent dryness.
Antifungal dog shampoo
The fungi causing infection issues on the dog’s skin are dealt with using this shampoo. This helps in preventing infection issues such as Malassezia, ringworm, and yeast. This infection often causes issues like scaling, flaking, crustiness, and hair loss.
The Antifungal dog shampoo will normally retain the following ingredients in them – selenium, ketoconazole, miconazole, or sulfide. In addition, some of these shampoos also include anti-inflammatory or antibacterial ingredients like salicylic acid or chlorhexidine. These ingredients help in reducing swelling, and irritation, or stopping secondary bacterial infections.
Antibacterial and Antifungal dog shampoo – Buying Factors
Before buying antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo, it’s crucial for you to analyse some factors. These prospects will help you get a detailed insight into both antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo.
Factors to consider for antibacterial dog shampoo:
- Medication (active ingredient formula)
The shampoo must have antibacterial ingredients or medication formulas such as benzethonium or chlorhexidine that can help treat skin infections. These ingredients also help in stopping the infection from spreading. But, it’s best to pick a shampoo that includes natural ingredients.
- Moisturisers or soothing materials
The majority of bacterial infections are a result of dry dog skin. It becomes itchy and leads to infection issues. So, it’s important to look for moisturisers or soothing materials such as coconut oil, aloe vera, oatmeal, or shea butter while buying an antibacterial dog shampoo. These elements soothe the dog’s skin and also keep it hydrated.
- pH level
In general, dogs’ skin is more sensitive and alkaline in comparison with human skin. So, you need a shampoo with a proper pH level. Because a shampoo with balanced pH is good for maintaining the skin and also controlling further infection or irritation of the dog’s skin.
- No artificial fragrance
The fragrance in a shampoo is added to cover up the unpleasant odour but, you must avoid buying such shampoos. Artificial fragrances can irritate the dog’s skin. So, pick the antibacterial shampoo that retains natural ingredients such as mint, lemongrass, or lavender instead of other deodorisers.
Factors to consider for antifungal dog shampoo:
- Medication (active ingredient formula)
The active ingredient formula or medication in antifungal dog shampoo must include ketoconazole or miconazole. Fungal infections such as yeast dermatitis or ringworm are dealt with by these active ingredients. They kill the fungus and prevent further growth of it on the dog’s skin. You can also pick a shampoo that includes natural ingredients only.
- Soothing ingredients
Just like in antibacterial dog shampoo, an antifungal dog shampoo must also contain soothing ingredients. So, while buying an antifungal dog shampoo look for ingredients such as neem oil, tea tree oil, calendula, or chamomile. These ingredients can reduce redness and help the dog’s skin to recover.
- pH level
You need to pick an antifungal dog shampoo that has a balanced pH level. Dog skin is sensitive and may suffer from different issues if there is an imbalance in the pH levels. So, make sure the antifungal dog shampoo has suitable pH levels to prevent potential infection issues.
- No harmful chemicals
The antifungal dog shampoo you buy must not have harmful chemicals in them. They can cause severe infection and compromise dogs’ health. So, make sure the shampoo doesn’t have any artificial fragrances, or chemicals like sulphates, parabens etc.
Further, there are some common factors you need to consider while buying antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo. Here are they:
- Cleansing: both the type of shampoos must penetrate the dog’s skin fold and follicles where the bacteria or the fungus irritating resides. In addition, the shampoo must also remove dust, dirt, debris, or excessive oil from their the dog’s skin.
- Ease of use: the shampoo you buy must be easy to apply on the dog’s skin and rinse off easily. Because if the shampoo remains in the skin, even in small amounts, it can cause irritation issues. Also, make sure your shampoo has a pleasant smell but, not with artificial fragrance.
- Brand: shampoo you pick should be of a reputable brand. They use quality substances keeping in mind the dog’s skin.
These were some of the buying prospects. But, the dog shampoos that are available for cleansing purposes are antibacterial and antifungal as you may have observed in the list mentioned previously.
The separation for buying prospect was to highlight the basic ingredient distinction between antifungal and antibacterial. Also, it’s best you consider shampoo products that are using natural ingredients in their shampoo instead of synthetic chemicals.
Tips on Using Antibacterial and Antifungal Dog Shampoo
As seen in the product list, the majority of the shampoos have both antibacterial and antifungal properties in them. So, you can get a single product and leverage the benefits of both types. The active ingredients for such shampoos are often synthetic chemicals and they can cause damage to dog’s skin and overall health.
However, using antibacterial and antifungal shampoo that has natural ingredients can also cause health issues if not used properly. Hence, regardless of the type i.e. clinical, or natural ingredient dog shampoo, you need to use it safely on dogs. Below are some tips you can consider:
#1. Get a vet’s advice
Even if you are using an antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo with natural ingredients, you need to consult your vet before you use it on your furry friend. This is mainly because not all dogs respond well to the ingredients used in the shampoo.
Likewise, if you are using the one with synthetic chemicals made for clinical use and is vet recommended still, you need to consult your vet. I say this because a vet can provide you with exact insights on what quantity is suitable for your dog and which type of ingredients are likely to be avoided.
#2. Follow instructions mentioned
You will find directions for use on many of the antibacterial and antifungal shampoos for dogs. These instructions are very helpful and if you follow them your furry friend will receive proper grooming and also not face any infection or irritation issues. Here are some general instructions you may find:
- Remove dirt and gather supplies – you’ll have to remove the dirt, debris, and dust from the dog’s coat and also from the mats nearby. Afterwards, gather different supplies such as towels, spray nozzles, scissors, or any material you may need while grooming your furry friend.
- Wet dog’s coat – using lukewarm water you need to make the dog’s coat wet before you apply the shampoo. Make sure you don’t use too hot or too cold water as it can cause irritation or discomfort on your furry friend’s skin.
- Apply shampoo to the dog’s coat – create a rich lather using the shampoo, but, make sure it’s not too much as it can drip off the fur. You can use the measurement bowl, cup, or spoon and match the suggested measurements on the product label. Gently massage the shampoo on the dog’s coat and apply more towards the affected areas.
- Leave the shampoo on the dog – while using antibacterial and antifungal shampoos, you need to keep them on the dog’s coat for about 5 to 10 minutes. Some shampoos may suggest rinsing it after 20 minutes and some even less than 5. It depends on the ingredients used and how much contact will provide better results.
- Rinse off the shampoo – using lukewarm water, rinse your dog and leave no trace of shampoo on their skin. Because if they remain on the coat, it can cause irritation.
- Dry dog skin – use a soft towel and make the skin dry. Avoid scratching, or rubbing their skin as it can cause distress. You can allow your dog to roam in the backyard to make their skin dry. Also, avoid using a hair dryer because it can burn their skin.
Remember, these instructions are not the same for every antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo, you will find different parameters on different brand products so, make sure you have a proper analysis of the product before using it.
#3. Monitor skin condition
Once you finish grooming your dog using the shampoo, you will have to keep an eye on your furry friend’s skin condition. If their skin has shown signs of improvement, you can continue following the same routine.
But, if you observe any swelling, redness, itching, or discharge, you need to consult your vet immediately. The vet will determine whether or not you can continue using the antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo you have or not.
These were some crucial tips you need to keep in mind while using antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo. However, you need to make sure that after grooming with shampoo, your dog doesn’t get dirty. Because if it does, the grooming you did will be undone.
Benefits of using antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo
If you manage to use the shampoo properly, there are many benefits for the dog. Here are some of them:
- Improves dog skin health – the shampoo has ingredients that kill the bacteria and fungi present on the dog’s skin. This helps in reducing the chances of infection and also improves their skin health. In addition, they also reduce the complications and symptoms that cause inflammation, itching, or irritation issues and help in restoring the original skin condition.
- Soothing of skin – using antibacterial and antifungal shampoos help in soothing the dog’s skin and controlling irritation and inflammation issues. They reduce pain and discomfort by moisturising the dog’s skin and also prevent further complications of existing infection issues.
- Skin appearance – skin infections can cause serious damage to dog skin. Antifungal and antibacterial dog shampoos deal with such issues and provide proper cleansing and conditioning to the dog’s skin. Once, the dirt and debris are removed, it revives the original skin condition and facilitates better hair growth.
Drawbacks of using Antibacterial and Antifungal dog shampoo
The margin for error while using Antibacterial and Antifungal dog shampoo is less. Because if you don’t follow the guidelines of usage, the benefits can instantly transform into drawbacks. Regardless, here are some of the drawbacks of using this shampoo on dogs:
- Side effects – many dogs may not handle the antibacterial and antifungal shampoo well. They might be sensitive or allergic to the ingredients present in them. For instance, salicylic acid, sulphur, or coal tar can cause irritation, swelling, redness, or itching in some dogs.
- Not suitable – there is no single solution for all skin infections for dogs. So, a product that may work for some dogs might not provide the results for others. Also, some infections might not be resolved using the shampoo, they may require additional supplements or treatments.
- Less effective – if the shampoo is not used as per the instructions mentioned on the product, it’s less effective. But, not only that, improper use leads to serious infection issues and hence, it’s crucial to have exact details of the quantity usage, frequency and perfect time to rinse off the shampoo.
So, if you suspect that your dog is having issues after using the shampoo, make sure you take them to the vet. There is a possibility that treatment is required because of the spreading of infection.
Once, you use antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo on your dog, you must monitor their skin. Observe it carefully and identify if there are any side effects of the shampoo you used on your furry friend. If there is no improvement, look for allergic reactions, irritation issues, or resistance. Notify your vet so, they can begin treating the infection symptoms and prevent it from elevating further.
The cost of antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo relies on various factors such as ingredients, quantity, and brand. However, the general cost that you can expect is between £8 and £30 per litre. This price range is just an estimate so, it may cost you more than £30 depending on its quantity and brand.
The frequency of using antibacterial and antifungal shampoo on dogs depends on how well the dog’s skin responds to the dog shampoo you applied. Because some dogs may need more quantity of shampoo and need daily grooming whereas other dogs may not need it for a couple of weeks. So, to determine how many times you should apply antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo, you need to have a chat with your vet. You will get the perfect schedule tips and frequency of using the product as they know your furry friend’s medical history.
The antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo is used for grooming and dealing with minor infections and wounds. In general, it will show improvement for such issues within the first few weeks of using it. However, if the infection is severe, for instance, yeast infection, then it may take about 3-4 weeks for it to have an effect on the infection. Likewise, for allergies or inflammation, you will see the effect after 4-5 weeks.
Best Antibacterial and Antifungal Dog Shampoo – Final Remarks
Antibacterial and Antifungal dog shampoos help with different skin issues that are triggered by fungi, bacteria, allergens, or yeast. They kill off the dangerous microorganisms that have manifested in the dog’s skin and make it more soothing.
But, remember, antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoos cannot solve every skin problem, it’s not a magical solution. So, read the instructions mentioned on the product and use it safely for better results. If you have doubt’s before using or even buying, consult your vet. They will provide you with better insights and help you pick the shampoo product that will work the best causing minimal side-effects.
I hope the product list mentioned in the article helped you get your best antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo. These products are highly rated and have worked well for many dog lovers. However, you must make sure you don’t get carried away with the ratings, you need to analyse the ingredients and see if it’s the right choice for your furry friend.