Are Lupine Poisonous to Dogs? Caution!

Photo of author


Author: Jacob Kay

Each one of us wants to decorate our garden or balcony with beautiful and elegant flowers. The plant which adds beauty with their look and fragrance are all we want, and lupine is one such plant. But if you are a paw parent then the first question popping into your mind might be, “Are lupine poisonous to dogs?”.

Here through our blog, we will try to provide you the information regarding the same. With our in-depth research, we will try to enhance your knowledge and provide you with great insights.

Are Lupine Poisonous to Dogs?

What Is Lupine?

Lupine is a plant whose origin lies in North and South America and belongs to the legume family. Lentils, peas, chickpeas, soybeans and peanuts also belong to the same legume family. Lupine has colourful pea-sized flowers along with yellow seeds.

Lupine are a plant that adds beauty and elegance to your garden and enhances the look of your home. It attracts bees and butterflies the most, giving you the best view.

Lupines are typically used as food, in ornaments and for the improvement of soil. Lupine is rich in proteins and minerals and thus can be eaten with beans, as snacks and with flour too. The fibre content in lupine is also high, however in order to consume it needs to be processed properly.

Lupine is divided into two groups:

  • Bitter: High level of alkaloid and poisonous
  • Sweet: Low level of alkaloid and are consumable

Are Lupine Poisonous to Dogs?

Yes, lupines are poisonous to dogs. They are toxic to dogs as they contain alkaloids known as lupini. This alkaloid is toxic not only to dogs but to humans as well. Apart from this it also has moldy appearance and might contain fungus.

Lupine Poisonous to Dogs

The fungus found in lupines can lead to mycotoxic lupinosis. In this condition, your dog might suffer from jaundice, and inappetence and in the worst case may even die.

The alkaloid lupini present in lupines can lead to serious gastrointestinal issues, seizures, respiratory problems and the death of your dog. Although the whole lupine plant is toxic to dogs the part which is more poisonous to them is its seed, pods and young leaves.

Causes of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs

Here are the causes which lead to lupine poisoning in dogs:

  • If your dog has ingested a high amount of lupine then it can lead to lupine poisoning in the dog.
  • The seeds, pods and young lupine leaves are highly toxic for dogs and consuming them even in small quantities can lead to poisoning.
  • During summer the chances of fungus on lupines increase and during this period if your dog consumes it then it can cause poisoning.
  • If your dog consumes bitter lupines with higher levels of alkaloid, lupine poisoning can be caused.

Symptoms of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs

Here are the symptoms of lupine poisoning in dogs:

Symptoms of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs
  • Loss of coordination: Dogs suffering from lupine poisoning suffer from a lack of coordination. This can lead to your dog stumbling and falling while walking as it affects the nerves of the brain.
  • Loss of appetite: Dog may suddenly have no urge to eat and will exhibit the symptoms of nausea and vomiting while eating.
  • Breathing difficulty: Due to the alkaloid present in lupines the dog’s respiratory system is affected. This leads to difficulty in breathing in dogs.
  • Nervousness: Anxiety, nervousness, and fatigue are common in dogs suffering from lupine poisoning. Your dog may show signs of being uninterested due to the feeling of uneasiness.
  • Liver issues: Lupine poisoning has a direct effect on your dog’s liver and affects its functioning.
  • Frothing at the mouth: Due to uneven breathing and respiratory issues dogs may salivate excessively.
  • Seizures: The toxins present in lupine can affect a dog’s nervous system and even lead to the development of seizures.

Treatment of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs

Here are the ways you can treat lupine poisoning in dogs[1]:

  • Try inducing vomiting in your dog. This will help to remove the leftover toxins reducing the risk slightly.
  • Keep your dog hydrated. Lupine poisoning affects a dog’s respiratory system and appetite badly. In this situation keeping the dog hydrated might help in dealing with it.
  • Provide your dog with anti-seizure medicines. This can help to control a dog’s convulsion till further medical procedures are started.
  • To reduce the liver damage caused by to alkaloid toxins of lupine provide your dog with zinc supplements.
  • Try to keep your dog calm and composed, and try talking softly with them to reduce their anxiety.
As mentioned by Lauren Jones, VMD in petmd, "Poisoning in dogs is a medical emergency. If you think your dog ate something potentially dangerous, seek immediate veterinary care or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435."

Prevention of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs

Prevention of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs:

Prevention of Lupine Poisoning in Dogs
  • Avoid your dog’s contact with the lupine plant. When taking your dog on a walk keep him on a leash so that he does not go towards the lupine and try to eat it.
  • If you have planted lupines in your garden then surround it with fences to prevent your dog from reaching it.
  • Train your dog to stay away from the lupine plant and treat him every time he obeys the instructions.
  • If you suspect that your dog has consumed lupines and notice symptoms of poisoning consult a vet immediately.


Are lupines poisonous to dogs?

Yes, lupines are poisonous to dogs. Lupine consists of an alkaloid called lupinine. This lupinine is toxic for both animals and humans and can be fatal if consumed in large amounts. If your dog has ingested lupines then you need to visit a vet immediately to avoid any sort of discomfort.

What parts of the lupine plant are toxic to dogs?

All the parts of lupine are toxic and poisonous to dogs. Lupine contains an alkaloid compound that if ingested can lead to intestinal issues, seizures and in the worst case even death. So if your dog has consumed lupine then it’s advisable to take your dog to the vet immediately.

What should I do if my dog has ingested lupines?

If you suspect that your dog has ingested lupines then the best thing to do is to take your dog to a vet. Lupine being toxic to your dog can affect their health negatively and can lead to serious issues. Do not try to treat your dog at home without medical knowledge and guidance.

Can lupines cause death in dogs?

Yes, lupine can cause death in dogs. If your dog has consumed lupines in large amounts then it is fatal as lupine contains fungus and alkaloids. The elements are toxic to dogs and can result in intestinal issues, seizures, and paralysis and if not treated on time can cause death.

Are there any alternatives to lupines that are safe for dogs?

Yes, there are alternatives to lupines that are safe for dogs. Sunflower, rose, marigolds, zinnias and petunias are safe for dogs. These plants are not just safe but also serve various health benefits for dogs.


Dogs are curious creatures and out of curiosity, they tend to eat anything, especially plants. Their curiosity peaks at the mere sight of plants that too if the plant is so attractive like lupines. We hope through our blog, “Are lupine poisonous to dogs?” we have made you well aware of all the prevailing risks.

Though lupine poisoning is rare it’s better to be careful. If you are a paw parent then avoid planting lupine make sure to prioritise your dog’s health first.


  1. PET Poisoning | Oregon Poison Center. (n.d.).
Photo of author
Jacob Kay
Jacob Kay is a Veterinary Advisor and Editor at WWD. He’s also a dog lover and has two pet dogs of his own. He has extensive knowledge in the field of veterinary medicine and is always happy to share his insights with others.

Leave a Comment

Affiliate Disclaimer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to