As a dog owner, you may have thought of getting a synthetic turf or grass pad for your furry friend to leverage different benefits. But, often there is confusion on which type of artificial grass is suitable. So, to clear up such confusion, this article will provide you with the best artificial grass for dogs UK.
Also, alongside the list of different artificial grass products, you will find a buying guide that will help you understand various prospects, perks, and drawbacks related to the use of artificial grass for dogs.
Best Artificial Grass for Dogs UK
Artificial grass for dogs are good alternative to natural grass and can provide many benefits. They are made using plastic fibres and different materials to replicate the exact appearance of grass and maintain its feel. Some artificial grass is filled with rubber or sand granules.
Based on different parameters, here is a list of some of the best artificial grass for dogs that you can consider buying.
1. STARROAD-TIM Artificial Grass Rug Turf
For dog owners looking for professional quality artificial grass for dogs, STARROAD-TIM Artificial Grass Rug Turf is the one they should consider buying. The grass looks real and is dog-friendly. There are drainage holes at the bottom of this turf to facilitate quick draining. The high-quality synthetic material provides durability and can sustain different weather conditions.
In addition, the turf is durable and UV-resistant, so, will not fade or fall for long periods even with heavy rain or in extreme sunshine.
- Dense grass silk
- Ant-slip properties
Further, the four-layer structure can prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and also prevent odour.
- Easy to clean
- Reusable grass pad
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Not machine washable
2. SSRIVER Artificial Grass Dog Grass Mat
For dog owners looking to use artificial grass that helps with potty training, the SSRIVER Artificial Grass Dog Grass Mat is a suitable option. It is easy to install a balcony, flooring, or in any other location, that you think will be feasible for potty training your dog. The turf has realistic grass tones and repeated stretching and weaving make it uniform and comfortable.
In addition, the grass pad design with vertical drainage rubber backing will drain dog urine, or other liquid without pooling or leaving any bad smell.
- Soft texture
- UV protected
- Synthetic yarn
Further, the fake grass in this turf has nice elasticity and is fade-resistant so, you can use it for a longer duration.
- Easy to clean
- Suitable for potty training
- Adjustable in different locations
- Washable with hands only
- Cost is high
3. Ileading Grass Pad for Dogs
Ileading Grass Pad for Dogs is an artificial grass pad that is useful in potty training dogs and other purposes. The material used in this artificial grass for dogs is of high quality and you can expect the liquid to drain quickly on this grass pad without leaving odour.
Also, if needed, you can easily cut this artificial grass into different shapes as per your furry friend’s preferences.
- UV resistant
- Fire Resistant
- Smooth grass
Further, the turf is made using four-colour grass which makes it look like real grass.
- Highly permeable
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Can be used indoors as well
- Absorption capability is not good
4. Artificial Grass Realistic and Natural Looking Fake Lawn
The Artificial Grass Realistic and Natural Looking Fake Lawn doesn’t need sand infill. It is soft and dense but, comfortable for dogs. In addition, the material is durable and provides a natural grass appearance.
Also, the stitching in this artificial grass is suitable for dogs and is sustainable in different weather conditions.
- UV resistant
- Permeable backing
Further, this artificial grass pad is available in different sizes so, you can choose one as per your preference.
- Easy to install
- No sand infill required
- Thin material
5. Artificial Grass Puppy Pee Pad for Dogs
For dog owners looking for a dog grass pad with a tray, Petmaker Artificial Grass Puppy Pee Pad for Dogs is a viable option. The grass comes with a secure plastic drainage insert and is a good alternative for disposable dog training pads for small-medium-sized dogs.
Further, this artificial grass for pups has a three-layer system and is perfect for indoor use. You can use this pad for potty training for your furry friend and avoid messes and spills.
- Odour resistant
- Synthetic plastic
This artificial grass pad is easy to clean. You can use soap and water for cleaning and it will be ready for use again.
- Easy to clean
- Durable material
- Grass sheds
- Puppy chews on
6. Petgrow Artificial Faux Grass Synthetic Lawn
Artificial Faux Grass Synthetic Lawn is a multipurpose and durable artificial grass for dogs. It is made using polyethylene fabric and durable latex backing with drainage holes for quick drying. The high-density grass looks real and is non-toxic.
Further, this artificial grass also has advanced UV-resistant yarn material in it for facilitating quick drying.
- UV resistant
- Synthetic grass rug
- High temperature resistant
The turf can sustain different weather and there is no need for extensive maintenance.
- Rubber-backed drainage holes
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Suitable for outdoor use only
7. Dog Artificial Grass Mats
For dog owners seeking low-cost artificial grass for their dog, PICK FOR LIFE Store’s Dog Artificial Grass Mats are perfect for them. The manufacturer is providing 2 packs for replacement with the actual product. These grass mats are useful in potty training for dogs and are effective in comparison with disposable pads.
The quick draining of liquid ensures there is no odour remaining on the mat. Also, the grass texture makes it appear real and is comfortable for dogs.
- Quick drainage
- Durable white-coated rubber
Further, the grass of this mat is removable and you can clean the potty train to flush out the remaining waste.
- Not easy to break
- Permeability is strong
- The fabric is rough
- The dog rips off the grass
8. Embellbatt Dog Grass Pad
For dog owners who prefer having low-maintenance artificial grass, the Embellbatt dog grass pad is a definite option to consider. This dog grass pad has a four-layer system and uses a synthetic plastic drainage grille for quick draining.
In addition, dense soft glue is used in the layer to prevent accidents. Also, the bottom layer is made using leakproof material so, no need to worry about protecting floors or rugs.
- Ultra-thick grid
- Dense absorbent layer
Further, the cotton pee pad in this grass pad is washable for reducing urine odour.
- Machine washable
- Cost is high
- Grass sheds off
Buying Guide: Best Artificial Grass for Dogs UK
Artificial grass is a synthetic turf that replicates the appearance and feel of natural grass. The products mentioned in the previous section are some of the best artificial grass for dogs. This buying guide provides different prospects that make artificial grass a good choice for dog owners.
Let’s begin with understanding some of the features of artificial grass:
- Permeability – refers to how well the water and liquid drains on the artificial grass. Permeable artificial grass has holes that allow the water or liquid to pass through and drain into the ground. This stops the artificial grass from becoming smelly, soggy, or slippery.
- Odour resistance – this feature basically suggests how efficient the artificial grass for dogs is in neutralising and eliminating dog urine smell, or faeces. In addition, an artificial grass with odour resistance will have a special coating on it which helps in stopping the growth of the bacteria and fungi that trigger bad odour.
- Durability – more the durability the better. A highly durable artificial grass for dogs means it won’t easily wear and tear. It must sustain foot traffic and also, tackle dog chewing and different weather conditions. Also, the high density and sturdy backing material resists deformation and damage, extending the lifespan of the synthetic turf.
- Softness – refers to how gentle and comfortable artificial grass feels on a dog’s paws, skin, and fur. A soft artificial grass turf will have a low pile height and fine texture mimicking natural grass. The softness feature is crucial as it helps dogs relax and feel cosy.
Additional features of artificial grass for dogs
You saw the prominent features of artificial grass for dogs, but, some dog owners prefer having more features in their turf for better results. Below are some of the additional features of artificial grass for dogs:
- Fire resistance – the artificial grass may catch fire when exposed to high temperatures or fire from barbecues, cigarettes or fireworks. The fire resistance feature will have a special material or coating that stops melting, burning, or releasing toxic fumes.
- No infill – artificial grass with no infill feature indicates that there is no need to add additional material like silica, rubber, or sand to fill in the gaps between the blades for cushioning, or stability. Because of the no-infill features artificial grass will have thick and dense backing material present which eliminates the need for any infill.
- Interlocking – refers to the design of an artificial grass turf. You can snap the pieces together or detach them without using glue. Interlocking is useful for dog owners who look to modify the surface area frequently for adjustments.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Artificial Grass for Dogs
Artificial grass for dogs will have its prices based on several factors. Size, type, material, labour cost etc. are the factors that influence the prices. Let’s have a closer look at how these factors affect the cost of artificial grass for dogs:
#1. Size of the area
The bigger the area you need the turf to cover, the higher the cost of artificial grass. The reason is simple, the material, labour, and installation fees for such artificial grass will be more.
There are many types of artificial grass for dogs. Their features, quality, and size are different and hence, the prices will vary accordingly. For instance, artificial grass for dogs with high durability and permeability will have more cost in comparison with others. Let’s have a look at some of the details of different types of artificial grass for dogs:
- Polyethylene artificial grass – is one of the prominent types and provides a realistic grass feel to the dogs and has soft and smooth blades. This artificial grass type is resistant to fading and any sort of wear and tear. But, they are expensive as they need infill for stability and cushioning.
- Polypropylene artificial grass – is a cheap but, durable type of artificial grass for dogs. It contains stiff and coarse blades that can handle high foot traffic and is suitable for large dogs. In addition, this artificial grass turf has simple installation and is easy to maintain but, can cause irritation issues or allergies for dogs.
- Nylon artificial grass – is stronger than polypropylene and polyethylene artificial grass for dogs. It retains dense thick blades and can maintain its shape under heavy pressure or rain. However, this artificial grass is tough to install and quite expensive. Also, the material can be rough and prickly for dogs so, infill is needed to make it more comfortable for dogs.
Material quality will have a significant impact on the prices of artificial grass for dogs. The high quality of the grass indicates better product used so, the cost will be more. For instance, polyethene artificial grass is realistic and feels natural. So, the cost is high. On the other hand, polypropylene artificial grass is cheaper and lightweight.
#4. Labour and operational costs
The installation of artificial grass will need some professional skills and relevant equipment. Also, based on the area, and complexity of the installation procedure i.e. preparation of ground, removal or pre-existing grass, laying of the base layer, cutting and fitting of artificial grass adds up on the cost.
Perks of Using Artificial Grass for Dogs
Artificial grass for dogs can have significant benefits, especially if you buy mats or turfs that can help with the potty training and also, have a good drainage layer in them. Below are some other perks of using artificial grass for dogs:
- Artificial grass is easy to clean and maintain. So, as a dog owner, you won’t have to water or mow it. You can just hose down the grass or use a dog-friendly cleaner to remove the stains or dirt.
- The material of the artificial grass is durable and resistant to damage from claws, and teeth of dogs. The durability also ensures it does not fade in extreme weather conditions or lose colour on sun exposure.
- Fleas, ticks, or other pests are not harboured in artificial grass for dogs. Also, the texture of this synthetic grass is smooth and feels like natural grass with cushioning. It is safe and comfortable for dogs to play on bigger-size turfs.
- Natural grass requires continuous maintenance. The expenses of maintaining natural grass is high. Artificial grass for dogs helps to save money on different resources, especially water.
- Synthetic materials used in artificial grass are not biodegradable. So, they don’t release toxins or microplastics into the soil and protect the natural habitat of the lawn.
To leverage the perks of artificial grass, you need to use artificial grass for dogs wisely. Here are some of the tips on using the artificial grass:
- Pick short-bladed grass – this type of artificial grass turf is easy to clean and durable.
- Train the dog – It’s crucial for you to train the dog and make them understand that the artificial grass is their potty spot. Use food treats or toys to lure them towards the fake grass.
- Wash properly – Brands provide specific instructions on washing the artificial grass turfs. Follow them to avoid damage or fading in the artificial grass. For instance, some turfs are not machine washable, and cannot be cleaned with artificial cleaner, but, only with hands using water and soap.
Drawbacks of artificial grass
If dog owners are not careful with the usage of artificial grass, there are some drawbacks as well. Besides this, there are some common disadvantages as well. Let’s have a look at some of the drawbacks when dog owners are not using it properly:
- Health issues for dogs – not maintaining the turf can leave stains of dog urine and stool. This can lead to skin infections, digestive issues, or urinary tract infections in dogs.
- Damage to grass – artificial grass will be damaged and its lifespan will be reduced if dog owners do not maintain the turf and follow instructions on installing the grass, use, and cleaning.
- Mould growth – if artificial grass is overwatered or overclean, it can damage the grass fibre and also cause mould growth.
- Endanger environment – artificial grass made of non-biodegradable material can endanger the environment if not disposed of safely.
These are some of the issues that may arise if dog owners are not careful. Further, there are some drawbacks for dogs as well.
- Too hot to walk – in direct sunlight, the artificial grass can get too hot. The high temperature of the turf makes it difficult for dogs to walk on and cause discomfort to their paws or even burns. To overcome this issue, dog owners can use blankets or simply install artificial grass with cooling technology.
- Less comfortable – there are quality artificial grass for dogs but, still, they are not as soft or as comfortable as natural grass. Many dogs don’t feel comfortable on artificial grass and this often leads to behavioural issues as they can’t relax or enjoy freely.
- Health risk – some artificial grass may contain zinc, lead, or other such substances which can be toxic for dogs and humans as well. The risk is high, especially if there is direct contact by a dog, or breathed in.
- Feel uncomfortable peeing or pooping – many dogs will find it difficult to distinguish artificial grass and natural grass while pooping or peeing. They will not associate the artificial grass with a spot to poop or pee because of discomfort caused by the roughness of the grass.
FAQs for Best Artificial Grass for Dogs UK
You should use artificial grass for dogs because it has many benefits like prevention of brown patches, no muddy paws, reduction of pests, and allergies, and elimination of use of fertilizer or pesticide. In natural grass, maintenance is high and you may have to spend some money regularly to keep its condition good for longer use. Using artificial grass can help you save some money but, one needs to use it efficiently otherwise it can backfire as well.
The general cost of artificial grass for dogs in the UK lies between £9 to £50 (per square metre). These prices can vary based on factors such as size, type, quality, brand etc. For instance, a small artificial grass lawn or mat will cost less in comparison to a large one.
In general, it’s difficult to suggest which dog breeds resist artificial grass. But, based on size, activity level of the dog, temperament, personality, and quality and type of artificial grass, large dog breeds like German Shepherds, Huskies, Border Collies, adventurous breeds such as Dachshunds, Terriers, Beagles, and sensitive or allergic breeds like Poodles, Malteses will resist artificial grass. Big dog breeds need more space and adventurous dogs like digging and chewing so, they will resist adjusting to artificial grass.
When a dog urinates on artificial grass, the artificial grass dog pee can cause discolouration because of nitrogen and salt in dog urine. It can also degrade the colour and quality of artificial grass blades, and make them more yellowish or leave some brown spots. In addition, the urine also leaves odour on artificial grass and it can manifest bacteria which can harm dogs. It’s crucial to clean after a dog urinates on artificial grass from a health perspective and also, to maintain the synthetic turf.
Best Artificial Grass for Dogs UK – Final Review
Artificial grass for dogs is a perfect choice for environmentally conscious dog owners and also, for the dog owners who are looking to offer their dogs a more sanitary and comfortable space for relieving themselves. These turfs are insect-free and non-toxic for dogs.
However, installing the best artificial grass for dogs UK can cost you a lot of money. So, if you are specifically looking for dog grass pads for dog peeing or pooping, you might save a few pounds. They are within the budget, and our team at Wewantdogs has a curated list which includes some efficient artificial grass pads that are suitable for dog peeing or pooping.
Lastly, I recommend that dog owners have a proper discussion with the professionals before getting artificial grass for dogs to avoid any issues for dogs. If there is any concern regarding the dog’s health, you can mention them in the comments. I will be happy to sort them out.