As a dog owner in the UK, at some point, you may have thought of buying the best paw balm for dogs UK to take better care of your furry friend’s paws. But, while analysing different products you often get confused and it’s obvious for you to wonder – how to pick the best dog paw balm for the dog?
For picking the best dog paw balm for your furry friend you’ll have to consider different aspects such as their type, ingredients, and also, your dog’s activity levels. So, keep reading the article as I provide you with some useful information on dog paw balm, how many types you get, what ingredients they have and how you can use it effectively on your dog to leverage different benefits.
Best Paw Balm For Dogs UK
Dog paw balm is a product that helps in healing or soothing dogs’ paws. They help in nourishing and moisturising dogs’ paws. In addition, it also stops any infection and reduces irritation for maintaining the ideal paw condition for the dog.
There are various types of dog paw balms and here is a list of some of the best dog paw balms for dog owners in the UK:
1. Paw Nectar Dog Paw Balm
For dog owners looking for natural ingredients in their paw balm for dogs, Paw Nectar Dog Paw Balm is a perfect option. The natural ingredients used in the balm facilitate natural healing and also hydrate their paws naturally. You need to apply the paw balm on the paw pads gently and use it daily for better results.
This paw balm is not only solving the dry, chapped, or cracked paws issues but, also resolving the root cause of the underlying paw problems.
- Aloe Vera
- Vitamin E
- Lavender Oil
- Coconut Oil
In addition, this dog paw balm also contains ingredients such as Cocoa butter, Shea butter, Avocado oil, Soy oil, Coconut oil, and Rosemary seed extract.
- Eliminates pain in dry paws
- It can last for about a month
- Moisturises cracked and chapped paws
- Some dogs are allergic and resent the smell
2. PET HEAD Oatmeal Paw Butter
PET HEAD Oatmeal Paw Butter is suitable for every breed size and age. The oatmeal extract has anti-inflammatory properties and helps moisturise dog skin and nose as well. Also, the vegetable protein and aloe vera in the mix help soothe and heal the paw.
In addition, the shea butter in the ingredients acts as a super moisturiser and keeps the paw hydrated.
- Oatmeal extract
- Shea butter
- Aloe vera
- Coconut oil
This dog paw balm is gluten-free and there are no dyes or parabens surfactants used for dogs’ safety.
- pH balanced
- Makes coat stronger
- Nourishes dog skin and makes it soft
- Scent is strong
3. Dog Paw And Nose Balm by C&G
For dog owners looking for a dog paw balm that specifically helps protect and maintain the cracked itchy skin of their furry friend then, C&G Pet Store’s anti-bacterial Dog Paw And Nose Balm is the right product. The product is made using high-quality natural essential oil.
Also, there are no traces of any harmful chemicals that may compromise the dog’s paw or skin. In addition, the manufacturer also claims that their balm is lick-safe.
- Aloe vera
Further, this dog paw balm is handmade and the absorbent is quick to work on the paws and soothe the itching in the skin of the dog.
- Non-irritant and non toxic formula
- Tailored for dealing with itchy and cracked dog skin
- Forms protective insulation for retaining moisture
- Strong and bad odour
4. Dulàc Dog Paw Balm
Dulàc Dog Paw Balm is made using natural elements and is suitable for dog owners who are looking to get the repairing action done by the dog paw balm. This dog paw balm meets this prospect and is a good product for soothing, and moisturising the paw.
In addition, if your dog’s paws are damaged by cracks or scratches you can use this balm because of its emollient and repairing action.
- Olive oil
- Vitamin E
- Shea butter
Further, this dog paw balm has tea tree, sage, thyme, and geranium that help in stopping dogs from licking the area where the balm is applied and allow repairing.
- Non-toxic natural formula
- Ideal for scratchy and cracked paw pads
- Suitable for use in winter and summer
- Dogs resent the strong smell
5. Dermoscent Bio Balm
For dog owners looking for a dog paw balm that is unscented and has both protective and repairing actions, Dermoscent Bio Balm is a good option. As per the manufacturer, this dog paw balm is vet-formulated and you can use it for protecting and repairing a dog’s dry or cracked paws.
However, this dog paw balm is not exactly made using natural ingredients. There are natural organic compounds used in this dog paw balm that are medically certified.
- Soya bean oil
- Vegetable oil
- Cetyl palmitate
- Melaleuca cajupti oil
Further, apart from the paw pads, you can use this dog paw balm on thick areas such as calluses, elbows, or the nose.
- Moisturises and soothes skin
- Water-resistant and No fragrances added
- Prevents dryness and cracking of dog skin
- Doesn’t have not anti-inflammatory properties
6. All Natural Paw, Nose & Skin Balm
For dog owners looking for multi-purpose dog paw balm, All Natural Paw, Nose & Skin Balm from The Healthy Dog Co, is a viable option. This dog paw balm provides instant relief from itching and dryness on paws. This dog paw balm is multi-purpose, so, you can also use it for nose and skin areas.
The balm forms a barrier on the paw and protects it from rock salt, hot pavement, ice, and hot temperatures. Also, the natural ingredients used in this dog paw balm make it lick-safe.
- Olive oil
- Shea butter
- Coconut oil
- Rosemary Extract
Further, this dog paw balm comes in handy when used in extremely cold or hot weather conditions for protecting the paws.
- Unscented formula
- Suitable for use on the skin and nose
- Helps deal with itchy, sore, or cracked paws
- Cost is high
- The smell tempts dogs to lick
7. Petsly Dog Paw Balm
If you are looking for a dog paw balm that works well in winter, Petsly’s Dog Paw Balm is the right fit for you. This paw cream is made using a unique paw balm formula to help with the regeneration of dried skin and moisturise during winter.
In addition, the formula is made such that dog doesn’t bite or lick once applied to the dog’s paw. The ingredients are used to make sure there is no harmful reaction and can be utilised near sensitive regions.
- Aloe vera
- Shea butter
Further, this dog paw balm is also useful for cats and there is no change in its effectiveness.
- Stops damage from salt, and snow
- Hydrates dry areas and helps heal cracked skin
- Not suitable for use on open-skin
8. BUGALUGS Paw & Nose Balm
For dog owners looking for dog paw balm that is specifically tailored to deal with irritation and redness issues, then BUGALUGS Paw & Nose Balm is an option to consider. The ingredients used are natural and help in the nourishment and repair of a dog’s paws.
In addition, this dog balm can also be used on your furry friend’s skin or nose. It will help soothe irritation or redness issues.
- Colloidal Oatmeal
- Oat Lipid E
- Coconut Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
Further, this dog paw balm is useful in all seasons so, you can use it anytime you want.
- Helps reduce antimicrobial and inflammation
- Moistures paws, skin, and nose to keep them healthy
- Smell is annoying
- Only suitable for dogs older than 8 weeks
9. Paw Balm for Dogs by Primary Pets
The dog owners who are in search of a compact dog paw balm that is of low price, Paw Balm For Dogs by Primary Pets is the one that suits this requirement. It is pocket-sized and handmade in the UK itself. The dog paw balm also retains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties so, you can use it for healing purposes as well.
In addition, this dog paw balm is high in Omega-3 and 9 so, helps to moisturise and protect cracked paws from different elements and environments.
- Hemp oil
- Shea butter
- Olive Pomice Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
Further, this balm can also be used on the nose of a dog and is also suitable for use on cats.
- Lick safe
- Makes dog paws smooth and healthy
- Smell is strong
- Not suitable for dogs below 8 weeks of age
10. Canosept Dog Paw Balm
Canosept Dog Paw Balm is an effective dog paw balm that helps in soothing a dog’s paws and also facilitates healing. The ingredients used are not natural but, the composition of different substances ensures that dogs’ paws get protection and don’t get cracked out.
The panthenol and apricot oil used in this dog paw balm helps retain moisture and prevent dryness.
- Apricot kernel oil
In addition, the substances used in this dog paw balm also facilitate wound healing.
- Quick absorption, without a film of grease
- Protects paws from rough surfaces, heat, ice, road salt, and cold snowy conditions
- Not a natural ingredient formula
- Causes allergic reactions in some dogs
Buying Guide: Best Paw Balm For Dogs UK
You saw the list of different dog paw balms in the previous section. To help you filter out the choices, let’s get a better understanding of various prospects involved with dog paw balm.
Dog paw balm – is a thick ointment that is helpful for dog owners in safeguarding their dog’s paws. It also helps in protecting their paws from severe weather conditions.
- Helps healing and prevents cracked, dry, or irritated paw pads. This facilitates better mobility and reduces the risk of inflammation or infection in dogs.
- Acts as a protective barrier against harmful substances and against sand, salt, ice, and hot pavement. Thus, the chances of a dog suffering from blisters, burns, or cuts are minimised.
- Some dog paw balms are made for multiple uses. So, along with the paws, you can use them for soothing a dog’s nose as well.
Reasons to buy dog paw balm
It’s obvious for a dog owners to wonder why they need dog balm for their furry friend’s paws. Here are some of the prominent reasons why they need it for their dogs:
- Allergies – many dogs are allergic to chemicals, mould, pollen, dust, or grass. Dog paw balms help in healing allergic reactions and also stop them from happening. They help form a protective layer around their paw pads and block allergens. This will soothe their paws and also reduce any inflammation or irritation.
- Temperatures – dog’s paws are sensitive to temperature changes and may suffer from exposure to cold or hot weather. They may get dry or cracked because of low humidity or extremely hot temperature. A dog paw balm helps in handling such sensitivities and helps them cope with the changes in the temperatures.
- Injuries – dog paw balm comes in handy to help dogs heal from injuries. Dogs often are susceptible to injuries while playing, running, or simply exploring the surrounding environment. You see them get bruises, cuts, splinters, scrapes, nails, or thorns on their paws from rough surfaces or sharp objects. These injuries lead to infection, bleeding, or scarring. A dog paw balm will help regenerate the skin tissues on the paws and facilitate healing.
Types of dog paw balms
There are many dog paw balms available which can help you improve your furry friend’s paw condition and make them feel comfortable. The different types of dog paw balms help in dealing with different injuries or issues of a dog’s paw.
Below are the types of dog paw balms you can consider:
#1. Oil-based dog paw balm
The oil-based dog paw balms are absorbent and moisturising. They help in dealing with cracked, dry, or irritated paw pads and also, soothe and calm inflammation issues triggered because of injuries or allergies. So, let’s have a closer look at how oil-based dog paw balm helps in resolving the issues:
- Dryness: if a dog’s paw pads are dry because of high temperature or low humidity. the oil-based dog paw balm will provide moisture. This will nourish their skin and also, prevent issues such as bleeding, cracking, or infection of paws.
- Irritation: is caused because of allergic reactions or injuries to the dog. So, the anti-inflammatory properties of the oil-based dog paw balm will help the dog calm and get relief from irritation issues. In addition, it also reduces the swelling and pain of the paws.
- Cracking: excessive licking or biting can make paws cracked. Oil-based dog paw balms can help with the regeneration of skin tissues on their paws to maintain their comfort level and improve mobility.
#2. Wax-Based dog paw balms
The wax-based dog paw balms are waxy and form a protective barrier between a dog’s paws and rough or harsh surfaces. This barrier helps in safeguarding the paws from ice, snow, sand, salt, hot pavement, and various harmful substances that can damage their paws. In addition, they also stop water loss or evaporation from the skin.
Below are some issues Wax-based dog paw balms help resolve:
- Salt burn: dogs suffering from salt burn from sea salt or road salt get relief after wax-based dog paw balm is used. It provides insulation and helps in reducing or blocking the exposure of salt to contain salt burn.
- Snowballing: dogs get ice buildup or snowballing on their paws because of freezing temperatures or wet snow. The wax-based dog paw balms simply stop the ice or snow from sticking to the dog’s skin or fur and also, reduce the risk of cracking, bleeding, infection, or any discomfort issues in their paws.
- Hot pavement: the burn from the hot pavement is resolved by wax-based dog paw balm by creating a layer of insulation. This layer protects the paws from the heat and also, halts blisters, burns, or cuts in the paws.
#3. Multi-purpose dog paw balms
Multi-purpose dog paw balms are useful in dealing with issues on dogs’ paws and noses. You can use these types of dog balms for moisturising, healing, and protecting both areas from chapping, cracking, or getting dry.
In addition, multi-purpose dog paw balms are helpful in stopping issues such as inflammation or infection on the paw or the nose. Let’s have a peek at how multi-purpose dog paw balms deal with different issues:
- Dryness: multi-purpose dog paw balms moisturise and nourish the dry skin of a dog because of low humidity or high heat. The nourishment ensures there is no further cracking, infection, or bleeding on the dog’s paws or around the nose area.
- Chapping: when a dog’s nose or paws are chapped in cold weather or wind, the multi-purpose dog paw balm helps provide protection to the skin and maintain moisture.
- Cracking: excessive licking or biting can cause cracked skin and multi-purpose dog paw balms will facilitate the regeneration of the skin tissue and heal the skin. The regeneration makes sure that the mobility is intact.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Dog Paw Balm
After observing different types you might be curious about how they influence the price and whether or not there are any other factors that impact the cost of dog paw balm. So, let’s have a closer look at the factors affecting the cost of dog paw balm:
- Type of dog paw balm
The price of a dog paw balm is heavily influenced by the type. Each of these types has its own uses and benefits and, each of these dog paw balms uses a different mix of ingredients.
So, this variance in each of these types will have different costs and based on their effectiveness you can expect the prices to surge as well. Because the quality and quantity of different ingredients used will have a crucial impact on the price.
- Ingredients of dog paw balm
The ingredients used in different types of dog paw balm impact the prices so, based on the formula and quality i.e. natural ingredients or artificially formulated ingredients the cost will alter. In general, the natural ingredient composition is costly because it’s made of different natural elements after an extensive process.
However, the prices of ingredients that are rare or not available in large amounts are likely to cost more in comparison to the ones that are available easily.
- Size, production, and packaging
Dog paw balms come in different sizes and are produced differently. Some of them come in small packing while some are bigger. Also, the packaging of different types of dog paw balms will have a big say in their prices because some of the manufacturers use tins, while others use jars, or you may find them in sticks or tubes.
Regardless, size, production, and packaging contribute highly and help determine how much the dog paw balm will cost.
- Brand of the dog paw balm
A popular dog paw balm brand will use the best quality ingredients and you can trust them to provide a top-notch product. But, this high quality will come at a higher price. So, a brand that is new in the market or not well-known will cost less but, this doesn’t imply that the products used are not of good quality.
- Demand for the dog paw balm
If the demand for the dog paw balm you are looking for is high then, you can expect the prices to be high. Normally, oil-based dog paw balms are in high demand, so, you will see their prices high, especially if they are handmade or have 100% natural ingredients.
Further, a dog paw balm that is in low demand will have a lower price and you may have to conduct extensive research before buying such dog paw balm. However, don’t think that low-cost dog paw balm will not be of good quality. There are many brands that provide nice quality dog balm at low costs.
Things to consider while choosing dog paw balm
Not just factors affecting the cost, but, as a dog owner, you need to have a closer look at some of the other prospects like your furry friend’s activity and lifestyle, preferences and comfort, and other such things before you pick a dog paw balm for them. So, have a nice look at the below-mentioned prospects:
- Dog’s lifestyle and activity
This may seem unusual but, is a crucial prospect to consider. Because highly active dogs are more likely to face issues in their paw pads in comparison with the ones who are less energetic. The reason is simple, highly energetic dogs like to run and play outdoors hence, susceptible to injuries in their paws. So, for the protection of their paws, a wax-based dog paw balm makes more sense.
Likewise, a dog who doesn’t like to exercise or have outdoor exposure will need a different type of dog paw balm because their paw pads are rarely going to get injured or face any issues. You can use oil-based dog paw balm for such dogs.
- Preference and comfort
The dog paw balm you pick for your furry friend must be as per your dog’s preferences and make them comfortable. Because some dogs may resent a specific type and you may have to buy a different one based on their preference.
Also, some dogs are sensitive to the ingredients used in the dog paw balm and may have an allergic reaction. Hence, it’s best you use some balm and apply it on your dog’s paw and see how they react and whether they are comfortable with the balm or not.
- Ingredients of balm
I just mentioned the dog paw balm you pick can have ingredients that may cause allergic reactions in dogs. So, you need to pick one that has less chance of causing such issues and healing their paws. Now, if you have analysed the list properly, the one common prospect amongst the majority of dog paw balms is that they are made using natural ingredients.
Natural ingredients are safe for dogs and protect paw pads without causing any other issues. Whereas chemically formulated dog paw balms are fatal for dogs and can lead to allergic reactions, toxicity, and other problems.
- Ease of use
The dog paw balm you buy must be easy to use on your dog. Because some of them leave grease or a sticky residue on their paw. This can result in dust, debris, or dirt getting stuck to the paw pads and causing infection or irritation.
So, use a balm that has quick drying and non-greasy formula. You can try using spray or liquid forms but, they are difficult to apply and not as effective as the balm.
You need to pick a dog paw balm that can provide effective results even in extreme cold or hot temperatures. Based on your area you can pick a balm that will provide the insulation and protect your furry friend’s paw.
For instance, wax-based dog paw balms can form a protective barrier against ice, snow, salt, sand or hot pavement and make sure that the paw remains fine.
Tips on Using Dog Paw Balm
Once you pick the best dog paw balm for your furry friend the job is still not complete. I say this because in order to protect their paws from dryness, irritation, cracking, or injury you need to use it effectively. Following are some of the tips you can consider for using dog paw balm:
#1. Make the dog paws clean
It’s crucial to ensure that the paws are clean before you apply the paw balm on the dog. You can use a soft brush or a cloth to clean their paws gently to make them free of dirt, debris, or wounds. Also, make sure you clean your hands because the dirt may still get onto their paws while you apply the balm and cause issues.
Further, if your dog has deep cuts, infections or scratches near their paw, you need to consult your vet before you use them on their paws.
#2. Pick a suitable balm
A natural dog paw balm is probably the safest option but, as per your dog’s needs you can use the balm which suits them best. Check the ingredients and see how they can help with soothing, healing, or moisturising.
As you may have already observed in the list of dog paw balms, a natural dog paw balm will have ingredients such as coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, vitamin E, and other natural elements. These are safe in comparison with the dog balms that use artificial ingredients or add artificial colours or preservatives in the balm that are toxic for dogs.
#3. Apply the balm and massage the paw
Use your fingers or a soft gentle cloth to rub or dab the balm on your furry friend’s paws. The balms with the tin forms are directly applied whereas, some balms may require a little warmth of the hands.
Once you apply the balm, gently massage the dog’s paw and continue massaging until it’s fully absorbed. Because more absorption means more balm penetrates into the skin and helps with the soothing of the paws. Also, the more you massage better the chances of the dog not licking its paws.
#4. Repeat the process
Based on your furry friend’s activity levels and the paw condition, you can repeat the process regularly. In general, you can apply the balm at least once a day. However, to match your dog’s activity level and tackle extreme weather conditions, you can apply more if needed.
Perks of using dog paw balm
If you follow the tips mentioned in the previous section and use the dog paw balm properly, there are many benefits for your furry friend. Here are some of the perks you can leverage:
- Reduces discomfort
Many dogs suffer from a health condition known as hyperkeratosis. In here their paws get thick and cracked so, a dog paw balm will resolve this issue by removing keratin and preventing further damage to the paw skin.
- Protects paws
The paws of your dog are safe when you use the dog balm properly. The ingredients used in them will protect the paws from ice, concrete, rough surfaces, chemicals, and other damage. The balm forms a layer rather an insulation and reduces friction and abrasion keeping paws safe.
Further, they also help improve the grip and stability of the paws by increasing the contact area and helping the dog not slip on uneven surfaces.
- Moisturises paws and heals them
Dog paw balms help in moisturising paw pads and stop them from getting dry, or cracked regardless of surrounding conditions. It hydrates and nourishes the skin and maintains the integrity and elasticity of paws.
In addition, some of the dog paws are also useful in treating blisters, burns, irritation, or cuts. Such dog balms normally contain anti-inflammatory properties and can facilitate healing by soothing their paws and regenerating the tissues.
- Relaxes the dog
Natural dog paw balms have extracts and oils that can help stimulate calm and relaxing feelings when the dog paw balm is applied. So, if you massage a dog balm that has lavender or, chamomile or CBD, you can expect your dog to exhibit a relaxed feel.
- Cost efficient
A dog paw balm is cost-effective and a cheap method to take care of the dog’s paw. Other products like socks and boots, medications, or a vet visit for maintaining a dog’s paw are quite expensive. If your dog is highly energetic and loves spending time outdoors, your furry friend is likely to have paw issues.
Hence, from a long-term perspective, investing one time in a dog paw balm will be a cheaper option instead of spending more money on medications, creams, boots, socks, or medical visits.
Drawbacks of using dog paw balm
There are quite a few drawbacks to using dog paw balm on dogs. If you don’t use dog paw balm safely or use it without proper analysis of ingredients or consulting with your vet, then instead of leveraging the perks, you might see your furry friend suffer from different issues.
Below are some of the drawbacks of using dog paw balm:
- Residues and stains – dog paw balm leaves sticky residue or grease on the dog paw and this can allow dirt, dust, or debris to stick to them. So, this can lead to various infection or irritation issues not to forget, the furniture, floors, or any such thing that comes in contact with the paw gets stains.
- Allergies – the ingredients present in dog paw balm can trigger allergic reactions in dogs, especially if they contain artificial flavours or other chemicals. Your dog will face issues like inflammation, infection, irritation, or redness.
- Slippery paws – dog paws might get slippery after using the balm. Also, the natural function of the paw pads as shock absorbers or brakes may get compromised and dogs might face some damage or worse injury to their paws.
- Ingestion risks – if the dog licks its paws after you apply the dog paw balm, then it will cause toxic reactions and digestive issues. Using natural dog paw balms will likely reduce the risks so, avoid dog paw balms with harmful ingredients.
- Application challenges – dog paw balm is difficult to apply or remove for some dogs. The challenges mainly arrive because of their resistance or sensitivity to the paws when touched.
- Limited effectiveness – dog paw balms are not effective for many dogs and instead of improving the condition they face severe problems. The issue of effectiveness arises more in dogs with chronic paw issues.
FAQs of Best Paw Balm For Dogs UK
The general price of paw balm for dogs in the UK falls between £3 to £15. However, this price range can vary depending on the size, type, quality, and brand you choose. So, you can expect higher prices for the paw balm for dogs as per these factors. Also, you need to keep in mind the dog’s paw size and shape before you buy the paw balm for them. Look for any ingredients in the balm, which can harm your furry friend.
Paw balm for dogs is crucial, because it heals the skin of dog’s paws, protects them, and also, moisturises them. It helps in healing dry or cracked skin, inflammation or irritation issues, or helps relieve pain and discomfort from their paws. However, it’s important that dog owners use the dog balm on their furry friend’s paw.
There is no precise answer to this but, if your dog has injuries to their paws, phases severe cracking, has sensitive skin, or is prone to licking them, then, you must surely avoid using paw balm. Because if used dogs may have issues with their paws and treating their paw might require you to visit the vet.
Using paw balm for dogs entirely depends on the needs and preferences of your dog. For instance, if they have dry and cracked paws, you’ll have to use the dog paw balm one or two times a day. And, further, use it four to five times a week for a proper recovery.
Dogs having sensitive skin might get issues when dog paw balm is applied. Even if it’s the natural dog paw balm, they face irritation issues, inflammation, or redness. So, a homemade dog paw balm recipe comes in handy to avoid such issues and help improve their paw condition. The homemade dog paw balm recipe is also useful when a dog owner wishes to avoid using a dog paw balm with chemicals or additives in it.
Best Paw Balm For Dogs UK – Conclusive Remarks
I hope the list of dog paw balm products mentioned helped you in your quest to find the best dog paw balm UK for your furry friend. The list contains different types of dog paw balms and based on your furry friend’s paw condition and sensitivity to various ingredients you can pick the one which suits them the best.
So, you might see the product below our top picks but, might be suitable for your dog. Also, make sure you consult your vet before you buy dog paw balm to ensure that the ingredients used are safe for your dog. Otherwise, your furry friend will suffer from irritation, or inflammation issues in their paws.
Now, remember, these products are not the only ones available out there in the market so, if you are looking for some precise product that might help your furry friend you can surely conduct extensive research and compare it with our list. If you get stuck while in the process, you can share your views in the comments and I’ll be happy to assist you with that product as well.