If you have a dog, then imagine him peeing on your carpet and doing this frequently. Isn’t it a terrible sight to think of? For paw parents, it’s a nightmare if their dog pees on the carpet as it can lead to the formation of the habit. This can make you wonder, “How to stop dog peeing on the carpet?”
Your dog peeing on the carpet has many reasons linked to it and some of this could be serious. In order to make your dog stop peeing on the carpet you must know the reason behind it too.
Through this blog, “How to stop dog peeing on the carpet?” we will provide you with well-equipped information about the reason and solution for your dog’s peeing habit.
How To Stop Dog Peeing on the Carpet?
Here are the following solutions for dog peeing on the carpet:
- If your dog is well-trained or habitual in peeing outside then this frequent peeing can be due to medical issues. Consult a vet, as a vet can be able to diagnose the issues and treat your dog better.
- Appoint a behaviourist, they are professional and have expertise in understanding dog behaviour. These behaviourists help you analyse the dog’s behaviour and can provide the necessary solution to it.
- Observe your dog’s peeing schedule and according to that take him out for a walk. By doing so your dog will build a habit of peeing outside and prevent him from peeing on the carpet.
- Refrain your dog from peeing on the carpet and if he listens to you then provide him with a treat. This positive reinforcement will encourage your dog and stop him from peeing on the carpet.
- Using repellants also helps prevent dogs from peeing on the carpet. Repellants like vinegar, citrus, essential oils and alcohol repel the dogs due to their strong acidic smell. Due to dog’s strong sense of smell, they detect this smell and avoid going near it.
- Carpet sprays available in the market also help to prevent a dog from peeing on the carpet. These carpet sprays contain lemongrass, which absorbs the foul smell from the carpet. If your dog does not smell the urine then he is likely to not pee on the carpet again.
- Use the sheets available commercially made to potty and pee train your dog. Make your dog practice peeing on this sheet, gradually he will learn to pee on the sheet avoiding the carpet.
Is Dog Peeing on the Carpet a Problem?
Yes, dog peeing on the carpet is surely a problem which needs to be addressed and not neglected. If your dog pees on the carpet then it causes bad odour, stains and bacteria. The smell stays on the carpet for a long period making it difficult to use again.
When your dog pees on the carpet it leaves bacteria behind which are not good for you and your family’s health. Apart from this, your dog is likely to form this habit. Once your dog gets habitual to pee on the carpet then it will be really difficult to break this habit.
Moreover, your dog peeing on the carpet can be due to some medical issues too. If these issues are not addressed on time then it can lead to discomfort in future.
Causes of Dog Peeing on the Carpet
Here are the causes of dog peeing on the carpet:
Dog peeing on the carpet can be due to some sort of medical issue. Some of the medical conditions affect the dog’s urinary tract. Due to these medical conditions, a dog cannot control the urine for a longer period and can do it on your carpet.
Medical issues such as urinary tract infection (UTI), diabetes, kidney issues, and Cushing’s disease can be responsible for your peeing on the carpet. This disease affects dogs and makes it difficult for them to control the urge to pee leading to frequent urination. So if your dog is peeing on the carpet more frequently then you must consult a vet immediately.
Dog peeing on the carpet can be due to their behavioural issues. If your dog is bored, anxious, scared or in an unfamiliar place then he may exhibit such behaviour.
If your dog is new at your place or you have brought a new puppy then this is most common among them.
Dogs with such behavioural issues seek comfort in peeing indoors, especially on things like carpets. To figure out this reason you need to understand your dog’s behaviour. You can even take the help of professionals to deal with this issue.
AS mentioned by Dr. Megan Keller DVM, in petmd, "Some dogs pee because they are excited and submissive at the same time. For example, a dog that excitedly pees when their pet parent comes home may also submissively urinate if they are sternly reprimanded or overcorrected for the initial excitement pee."
Training is very important for dogs, it makes them well-behaved and teaches them proper habits. Training helps in avoiding any kind of behavioural discomfort in future.
If we talk about training then the most important thing to train your dog is potty and pee training. Dogs not trained will litter here and there, but if you train them properly then they know that they cannot pee inside the house and on things.
How to stop dog peeing on the carpet?
To stop your dog from peeing on the carpet you first need to know the reason behind it. It can be due to behavioural problems, medical issues or lack of training. If your dog peeing on the carpet is due to behavioural problems then you need the help of a behaviourist, for medical problems consult a vet and for lack of training hire a good trainer.
What is a natural remedy for dog pee on the carpet?
The natural remedy to stop your dog from peeing on the carpet is using baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, essential oil or hydrogen peroxide. These natural ingredients are easily available at our home and they neutralize the smell and prevent the dog from peeing on the carpet again.
What scent will keep dogs from peeing on the carpet?
Scents like vinegar, citrus, essential oil and alcohol help in preventing the dog from peeing on the carpet. Just spray these scents on the carpet and leave it, your dog won’t pee on that carpet again.
How long does dog urine stay on the carpet?
Dog urine can stay on the carpet for several days or even weeks and months if not cleaned properly. Generally, carpet is made of thick layers of fabric, so when your dog pees on it, the urine reaches all the layers.
How do I stop my dog from marking his territory on the carpet?
If your dog marks territory outside the house then it’s perfectly normal as it is their natural instinct. Marking the territory becomes a problem when your dog does it indoors that too on the carpet then it is surely problematic.
Dog peeing on the carpet must be surely a matter of discomfort for you. The foul smell and the cleaning process might be irritating for you, and if your dog does this frequently then your stress just increases.
In such a situation, instead of punishing and scolding your dog, you need to understand the cause of it. Try to treat your fur baby with utmost love. We hope through our blog, “How to stop dog peeing on the carpet?” you will find helpful ways of dealing with this problem.