Are you one of those paw parents who love going on car trips with their dogs? Well, then you must have experienced the struggle of weightlifting! (No, not the dumbbells, your dog). Lifting your giant-sized dog 🐕 and putting him in and out of the car is a challenging task and buying a dog ramp for him would be expensive 💷 on the other hand.
Well, why not evolve your craftiness 🎨 and create your own DIY dog ramp for a car? Now, you will wonder how to make a dog ramp for a car. It is so simple, just a few materials and skilful of job. Your dog ramp will be ready! Let us learn how to make a dog 🐶 ramp for a car.
You Might Also Like:
How to Make a Dog Ramp for a Car?
Making a dog ramp is an easy task. There are different ways of making one depending on your dog and his preferences. We will look into some of the simplest ways for how to make a dog ramp for a car 🚗 with just a few tools 🔨 and materials needed to give your dog an escalating rise.
1) Closet Shelf Ramp
This is the simplest and easiest way to make a dog 🐶 ramp using an old closet shelf. This is suitable for small puppies as it cannot lift more weight.
- Closet shelf
- Zip ties
- Rubber end covers
Here are the steps to make one for your puppy:
- Firstly, measure the height of the car’s seat and the length of the ramp needed. Keep the inclination on an average of 18-25°.
- Accordingly, cut the closet shelf using a hacksaw.
- Attach the shelves together using zip ties. Make sure they are aligned and secure.
- Cut the carpet and glue it on the ramp for your dog to walk comfortably.
- Lastly, attach rubber end covers on the edges to prevent scratches and injuries 🩹.
Your ramp is ready! However, its disadvantage is that it is tied with zip ties and hence, not suitable for heavy dogs. Also, it can’t be folded when not in use.
2) Folding Ramp
This is a folding ramp that is best for storage. It won’t take up much of your space in the car as well as in the house. You would need to do some carpentry work but it is best when you want to carry the ramp along with you in the car.
- Piano hinge
- Duct tape
- Paint stick
Here is a guide to make a folding ramp:
- Measure the height of the car’s seat and the length of the ramp needed.
- Cut the plywood pieces accordingly using a hacksaw.
- Attach the pieces using piano hinges.
- Use duct tape to attach the carpet to the top of the plywood pieces. This will provide traction and comfort for your dog 🐶.
- Cut a paint stick to fit the width of the plywood pieces. Use duct tape to attach it to one end of the plywood pieces. This will act as a handle for easy carrying and storage.
Your foldable ramp is ready! You can easily fold it when not in use.
3) Sturdy Ramp
If you want to make a dog ramp that would be strong and durable then you can opt for this ramp. It will last for a longer time as it is made of plywood and has extra support to distribute the weight of the dog.
How to make a sturdy ramp:
- Measure the height of your car’s trunk or door and the length of the space where you want to place the ramp.
- Cut three pieces of plywood accordingly using a saw or a knife.
- Attach two of the plywood pieces together using hinges. Make sure they are aligned and secure.
- Attach the third plywood piece to one end of the hinged pieces using hinges. This will create a triangular shape that will support the weight of your dog.
- Paint the plywood pieces with your desired colour 🎨. Let them dry completely.
- Cut the carpet to fit the size of the plywood pieces. Use glue to attach the carpet to the top of the plywood pieces. This will provide traction and comfort for your dog.
This ramp is suitable for large dogs 🐕 as the ramp can support their weight. Also, it will be strong, durable and will last longer.
Purpose of Dog Ramp
Here are some benefits of a dog ramp:
- Help your dog access the car without having to jump or be lifted.
- Prevent injuries, stress and pain to your dog’s joints and spine.
- Make your trips more enjoyable for both of you.
- Save money, customize the size and design, and have some fun with your DIY project.
Tips for Using and Maintaining Your Dog Ramp
If your dog is not trained to use a dog ramp, then he must need some training and practice to master this new skill in your checklist. Moreover, you need to maintain your DIY dog 🐶car ramp in order to preserve it for a longer time.
Tips for Using and Maintaining Your Dog Ramp:
- Always supervise your dog when using the ramp. Encourage him with treats 🍖 and praise 👏, and make sure he is comfortable and safe.
- Adjust the angle and position of the ramp according to your car 🚗 and your dog’s needs. Avoid placing it too steep or too low, as this can cause strain or injury.
- Clean and inspect the ramp regularly. Remove any dirt or stains from the carpet or fabric, and check for any loose or damaged parts.
- Store the ramp properly when not in use. Fold it if possible, and keep it in a dry and cool place. Avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, moisture, or extreme temperatures 🌡.
- Why do I need a dog ramp for my car?
A dog ramp can help your dog access the car without having to jump or be lifted. This can prevent injuries, reduce stress and make your trips more enjoyable for both of you. A dog ramp can be especially useful if your dog is small, old, injured, or not very agile.
- What are the benefits of making my own dog ramp?
Making your own dog ramp can be a great option if you want to save money, customize the size and design and have some fun with your DIY project. You can use different materials and methods to make a dog ramp that suits your budget, skill level, and preferences.
- What angle should a dog car ramp be?
Ramp width should be about 11-12 inches for toy and small dogs and 22-24 inches for medium size breeds. The rise of the ramp should allow an angle of incline at roughly 18 to 25 degrees. A toy or small dog will need 18-20 degrees and a medium-sized dog 22-25 degrees.
- Is a dog ramp better than stairs?
A ramp can absolutely make a difference, again, especially for those breeds like dachshunds and corgis whose backs are prone to injury; where even small, repeated impacts can slowly cause further damage to the discs.
So, how to make a dog ramp for a car? Well, you got your answer. So, get your dog ready for a day of crafting with you and show off your carpentry skills. Let your dog bridge up the car heights with comfort and convenience.
Now that you have learned how to make a dog ramp for a car, train your dog to walk swiftly on a ramp. Your dog will surely appreciate your effort and enjoy the car trips together more. Happy crafting! 🎨🐶
Also check out our guide on how to train a dog to use a ramp for tips on getting your dog comfortable and skilled at using their new ramp.
- Altman, K., Glumm, S., Stainton, K., Herlache-Pretzer, E., Webster, S., & Winkle, M. Y. (2021). Impacts of Mobility Dogs on Kinematics during Ambulation: A Quantitative Study. Veterinary Sciences.
- Arthritis Management and Prevention – Veterinary Teaching Hospital. (2020, December 15). Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Colorado State University.